A Saginaw man was rescued by firefighters from a fire in an apartment house on Saginaw’s West Side.

About 5:40 a.m. on Saturday firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming from the second story at 1121 Lyon St. Upon arrival, firefighters awakened the residents of the lower unit and escorted them outside.

Crews then searched the upper apartment and found a man unconscious on the floor.

Firefighters removed the man and administered oxygen to him. Mobile Medical Response personnel continued treatment and transported him to Covenant HealthCare in Saginaw. Later He was airlifted to Hurley Medical Center in Flint for further treatment.

The man suffered smoke inhalation and burns to eight to 10 percent of his body.

The man’s apartment had extensive damage to the kitchen area.  The cause of the fire doesn’t appear suspicious, but a Michigan State Police fire investigator will  conduct a full investigation.